A Kashmiri female photojournalist Masrat Jahan has been booked under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), and an FIR against her has been registered on Monday. According to Cyber Police Station, Kashmir Zone, Masrat was uploading ‘anti-national posts’ with clear intentions to induce the youth and promote offence against Public Tranquility. The photographer’s work has been published by reputed worldwide organisations like Washington Post, Al Jazeera, Caravan magazine, among others.
Here are five components of the story:
- The FIR number 10/2020 under section 13 UA(P) act and 505-IPC stands registered with the Cyber Cell of police, Kashmir, in this case.
- In a press release, the police further said: “The user [Zahra] is also uploading posts that synonymous to glorify the anti-national activities and dent the image of law enforcing agencies besides causing disaffection against the country.”
- Social Media users in Kashmir and journalist fraternity have come out in strong support of Masrat Jahan.
- Another Photo Journalist from the Valley, Sana Irshad Mattoo, wrote on her Twitter handle, ‘”Journalism is not a crime,”
- Journalist Asif Sultan was earlier booked under UAPA in Kashmir.