Madhya Pradesh Police has booked the lawyer who was earlier beaten up for looking like a Muslim. The lawyer had alleged that he was beaten up in for looking like a Muslim earlier in March this year. The police have booked him under section 188, 294, 353 of India Penal Code. He is accused of violating the rules of lockdown and using abusive language with police officials. Interestingly, all the eyewitness against him in the case belong to Hindu Sena.
Here are five components of the story:
- The lawyer, Deepak Bundele, who is diabetic, was going to the district hospital in Betul on March 23, 2020, to seek treatment, with only prohibitory orders in force ahead of the lockdown, when the Police reportedly thrashed him for allegedly looking like a Muslim.
- The Police later had to suspend one of its sub-inspectors for being involved in this after news of the lawyer being beaten up for looking like a Muslim came out in the media.
- Three months after the incident, the Police has now booked the same lawyer under different sections of IPC for violating lockdown rules along with other charges.
- All the three eyewitnesses in the case belong to Hindu Sena, according to the court documents.
- Following this incident, Bundele wrote subsequent letters to the chief minister, state’s human rights commission, the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh high court and top government officials. Bundele also said he filed an RTI application for the CCTV footage of the March 23 incident, but was denied the information.